Table of Contents
- Big Changes
- Could Have Some Impact
- Aghanim's Scepter Upgrades
- The Little Details
- Vision - many heroes had flying vision taken away, or vision reduced. Wards had a lot of changes too.
- Aghanim's Scepter - tons of new Aghanim's Scepter upgrades
- Aggression - reworks to Bottle-Crow make mid-lane more aggressive, also changes to when you hit level 11, XP gain, etc. will add some more action to mid-game.
- Vision decreased from 1800/800 to 1400/800
- Flamebreak manacost increased from 80/100/120/140 to 140
- Power Cogs no longer knock back magic immune units
- Shadow Wave target count increased from 3/3/4/5 to 3/4/5/6
- Shallow Grave can now be cast on magic immune allies
- Open Wounds cast range decreased from 600 to 200/300/400/500
I expect Lifestealer to still pick up one level of this - it's a good follow up spell. However, there will be a lot less kills in a Lifestealer lane because it won't be so easy to catch someone out of position and slow them.
- Spirit Bear now has its HP drained by Armlet when active
- Spirit Bear bounty increased from 100 to 300
The bounty increase is also something nice, and makes a lot more sense than 100g. Even Familiars are 100g and they are a lot harder to kill (though they can stun and aren't limited by proximity to the hero). I don't expect this to make a huge impact on the pro scene - it just really makes early game more risky (e.g. wave pulling with the Spirit Bear).
I'm very happy with these two changes, it will force more skill from Lone Druid players and punish idiots in pubs.
- While empty, causes couriers to move 30% slower
- Initial Stock now starts at 1 instead of 2 (max stock is still 2)
- AoE decreased from 950 to 800
Basically, this change affects the skill and information collecting surrounding counter-warding.
- Captain's Mode bans changed from 2/3 to 2/2/1
- Captain's Mode picks changed from 3/2 to 2/2/1
- Adjusted ban/pick/reserve times Captain's Mode
- Level 11 XP requirements reduced from 6500 to 6000
- Level 12 XP requirements increased from 7700 to 8200
- Buy back cooldown increased from 5 to 6 minutes
Could Have Some Impact
- Strygwyr's Thirst now gives you bonus 3/4/5/6 armor when active
- Bloodrage dispels the target before applying its buff
- Rupture damage is now HP loss
Bloodrage now gives him some utility - dispelling the target. This can be used offensively to get rid of things like DD. It can also be used defensively to remove debuffs (e.g. Ancient Apparition's ult).
While Rupture being HP loss is pretty good, it might mean that early game you can Salve through the damage (HP loss generally doesn't count as "damage" so Healing Salve wouldn't stop).
- Corrosive Breath passive from Level 1 Elder Form now carries over to Level 2 (the DPS)
- Turn rate improved from 0.4 to 0.6
- Fissure range increased from 1200 to 1300
- Echo Slam now considers illusions as heroes
However, keep in mind that his cast animation is still utter shit.
- Spirits no longer provide vision, except temporarily when they collide with an enemy hero
- Overcharge hp/mp cost increased from 3.5% to 4.5%
- Mana Drain break and cast range improved by 100 (750/1100 -> 850/1200)
- Aghanim's Finger of Death CD decreased from 160/100/40 to 100/60/20
The Aghs upgrade is something that you could only see if Lion is run at mid, where he might get enough farm to rush the item at about the same rate a Queen of Pain would. Having his ult on a 20 second cooldown means he could potentially get multiple off during a single team fight (if his mana pool can handle it).
While it's not a huge change, it's something that might cause a few times to try him out at mid.
- If a unit dies under Reaper's Scythe, it will be credited to Necrolyte
- Aghanim's Reaper's Scythe causes buyback to be disabled on heroes it kills for that death
The Aghanim's upgrade is something that is interesting, but it still requires a lot of farm and there are a number of other items Necrolyte usually builds before he would even consider an Aghanim's.
Necrolyte is also a hero that is hard to place in a lineup. He can work OK at mid, but it's situational. He's also not the best carry around. His place seems to be semi-carry, but there just isn't much space in a lineup for that.
- Spirit Lance, Dopplewalk, Juxtapose and Phantom Edge illusions damage dealt decreased from 25% to 20%
- Eye of the Storm duration increased from 20/25/30 to 30
- Eye of the Storm strike interval decreased from 0.75/0.65/0.55 to 0.7/0.6/0.5 (Aghanim's to 0.55/0.45/0.35)
- Unstable Current movement speed bonus increased from 3/6/9/12% to 4/8/12/16%
- Reincarnation slow now affects attack speed as well
- Reincarnation slow happens immediately upon death rather than after reincarnating
- Critical Strike Reworked (Allows you to temporarily trade Critical Strike for a 7 second 20% max life drain)
The Crit rework is pretty interesting. I see it mostly being effective early game for Trilanes. Removing 1/5 of their HP makes a hero that much easier to kill with nukes. It's almost a bit like a carry version of Undying. Lategame I see it as something that will be OK, but not great.
- Base Strength increased by 3
- Int growth increased from 1.8 to 2.4
- Chakram initial manacost rescaled from 125/150/175 to 75/125/175
- Chakram move speed increased from 800 to 900
The Chakram MS buff is also nice, because that thing is slow as hell.
However, while we might see a flare up of Timbersaw, I don't think he'll be any more competitively viable. He lacks base breaking ability, and finding a spot in your lineup for him is still difficult.
- Fury Swipes duration increased from 6 to 15
Black King Bar
- Magic Immunity now has a 6th level of decrease
Dust of Appearance
- Now stacks in inventory
- Now slows heroes with an invisibility buff on them by 10%
The slow is only going to really affect heroes like Phantom Lancer, Bounty Hunter, and Riki who aren't absurdly fast while invisible. Clinkz and Weaver will remain pretty untouchable speed-wise.
Gem of True Sight
- Gem can no longer be destroyed
- Gold cost increased from 700 to 850
- Towers no longer have separate bounty values when creeps or allies get the last it, it now gives the same reliable bounty to all players as if a creep killed it.
- Hero getting last hit on tower gives 100-200 bonus gold. Does not affect team bounty in any way
Aghanim's Scepter Upgrades
Pretty much all of these have "cool" or "wow" factor to them. However, the item is just too expensive on a lot of these heroes to really make an impact.
- Ancient Apparition: Added Aghanim's Scepter (Ice Blast duration increased from 8/9/10 to 17)
- Brewmaster: Aghanim's Primal Split units now gain your current level of Drunken Brawler.
Fire Spirit no longer upgrades damage with Aghanim's Scepter
- Crystal Maiden: Aghanim's Freezing Field's attack speed reduction aura increased from -20 to -50
- Doom: Aghanim's Scepter upgrade duration reworked (duration doesn't count down while near Doom)
- Enchantress: Aghanim's Scepter bonus attack range increased from 165 to 190
- Lion: Aghanim's Finger of Death CD decreased from 160/100/40 to 100/60/20
- Necrolyte: Aghanim's Reaper's Scythe causes buyback to be disabled on heroes it kills for that death
- Omniknight: Added Aghanim's Scepter (Global and affects buildings)
- Shadow Shaman: Aghanim's Mass Serpent Wards damage increased from 53-59/74-79/94-100 to 85-90/105-110/125-130
- Silencer: Added Aghanim's Scepter for Silencer (Adds CotS to all units and increases duration by one)
The Little Details
- Counter Helix cooldown decreased from 0.65/0.6/0.55/0.5 to 0.55/0.5/0.45/0.4
Just a nice little buff, knocking 0.1 off his Counter Helix cooldown at all levels. Axe is a hero to watch, he's been getting better and better. I think he's pretty underestimated at the moment.
- Ice Vortex cooldown decreased from 6 to 5
- Ice Blast base AoE increased from 225 to 275
- Added Aghanim's Scepter (Ice Blast duration increased from 8/9/10 to 17)
The Vortex buff is pretty minimal. Likewise, the Aghanim's effect is really cool in concept, but in practicality, you'll never afford Scepter unless you run AA mid. That might be viable after the Bottle nerf, but it's still unlikely that he'd manage an Aghanim's in anything but a pub game.
- Greater Hawk invisibility fade time decreased from 5 to 4
- Track manacost from 70/60/50 to 50
- Aghanim's Primal Split units now gain your current level of Drunken Brawler
- Fire Spirit no longer upgrades damage with Aghanim's Scepter
However, it's not a change that will really affect when you pick Brewmaster.
- Quill Spray hit memory increased from 10 to 14 seconds
- Incapacitating Bite miss chance from 10/20/30/40% to 30/40/50/60%
- Spawn Spiderlings unit count increased from 1/2/3/3 to 1/2/3/4
- Strafe cooldown decreased from 60/50/40/30 to 45/40/35/30
- Brilliance Aura mana regen increased from 0.5/1/1.5/2 to 1/1.5/2/2.5
- Freezing Field explosion AoE increased from 215 to 230
- Aghanim's Freezing Field's attack speed reduction aura increased from -20 to -50
The ult buff is nice, but it's minimal. Likewise, the Aghanim's upgrade is cool, but she will NEVER get Aghanim's in any game that's above low-tier. She has to be balling out of control to work towards that. There are just too many other items she needs more than Aghs.
- Vacuum cooldown increased from 22 to 24
- Movement speed decreased from 285 to 280
- Silence AoE increased from 200/275/350/350 to 350
- Witchcraft move speed bonus increased from 4/8/12/16% to 5/10/15/20%
The Silence AoE is a huge buff though. At level 1, her silence was utter shit because it was hard to hit and was barely worth a point to skill. I still see her builds focused mostly around Crypt Swarm & Witchcraft, but now a point in Silence won't be totally unwarranted.
- Thunder Strike from 3 strikes over 4 seconds to 4 strikes over 6 seconds
- Thunder Strike damage per strike decreased from 50/75/100/125 to 40/60/80/100
- Thunder Strike AoE increased from 200 to 240
Generally nice changes to Thunder Strike. He'll still be picked up primarily for his other skills, but this makes Thunder Strike a little more impactful. The damage really didn't change, but you'll have vision longer and it makes it more difficult to pop a Salve or use Bottle.
One thing to note is that before, you could use Thunderstrike as an indicator of where Glimpse will send them back to (it lasted 4 seconds, Glimpse sends them back for seconds). Now, you'll have to do a little more estimating, but you do gain the benefit of 2 more seconds of vision of your target.
- Doom now disables Feast, Backtrack, Dispersion, Juxtapose, Bristleback and Blood Bath
- Aghanim's Scepter upgrade duration reworked (duration doesn't count down while near Doom)
The Aghanim's upgrade sounds cool, but it's really impractical. Aghanim's still won't be a high priority pickup on Doom, unless you're running him as a Utility instead of a Carry. Carry Builds still need to address his DPS and lack of Armor. In my book, this is just slightly better than building Aghanim's on Faceless Void.
On a positive note, it does have some interesting potential to really shut down a hero in a teamfight - you can't even stay near the fight or your timer will never run down.
Who knows, maybe Aghanim's will be a niche pickup (but probably in a dual or tri core lineup).
- Trueshot Aura increased from 14/18/22/26% to 16/20/24/28%
However, pubs will be annoyed, as she does trash the low-tier.
- Ancestral Spirit vision type from Flying to Ground
- Natural Order aura increased from 20/40/60/80% to 25/50/75/100%
The aura buff will make this awesome hero even better.
- Aghanim's Scepter bonus attack range increased from 165 to 190
- Malefice scaling reworked (now 3 ticks with 0.25/0.5/0.75/1 sec stun and 75/120/165/210 damage)
On the bright side - it makes it harder to Salve/Bottle while you have Malefice on you at any level, also the damage received a slight buff.
I don't think it will change much about Enigma and the meta game, but it's an interesting re-scale.
- Flak Cannon cooldown increased from 20 to 30
- Base Strength increased by 3
- Burning Spears DPS increased from 4/8/12/16 to 5/10/15/20
- Life Break HP cost increased from 35/30/25% to 40/35/30%
- Berserker's Blood Reworked (now has 4/5/6/7% magic resistance and 8/12/16/20 attack speed per stack)
- Removed from Captain's Mode
These changes really seem to say that IceFrog wants Huskar to pick up Burning Spears (most players got 1 level or skipped it entirely).
As a hero that gets better the lower his HP is, Huskar will still be a rarity in competitive (and he is out of CM for now), but this seems like a good change that makes Burning Spears more viable and gives him some more early-mid game presence.
IMPORTANT NOTE: you can have a maximum of 14 stacks of Berserker's Blood. That puts Huskar at 98% magic resist when maxed out (however, for the 14th stack he needs to be lower than 3% HP).
- Alacrity manacost decreased from 100 to 75
- Ghost Walk slow increased from 20/23/26/30/33/36/40 to 20/25/30/35/40/45/50
- Ghost Walk cooldown decreased from 60 to 35
- Tornado damage rescaled from 70+(Wex+Quas)20 to 70+(2Wex+Quas)*15
Similarly, Ghost Walk (QQW) and Alacrity (WWE) are buffed. Seems like IceFrog is just trying to even the playing field for Quas and Wex, as most players tend toward Exort after Invoker's base damage was nerfed a couple patches ago.
- Omnislash no longer jumps on Tombestone Zombies
Keeper of the Light
- Base Strength decreased by 2
While I don't see it impacting him much, it might change a few minds to build something like Treads on him rather than Tranquil Boots because he'll need the HP a bit more.
- Ghost Ship damage increased from 300/400/500 to 350/450/550
- X Marks The Spot manacost decreased from 80/90/100/110 to 80
- X Marks The Spot vision from 1000 flying to 400 ground vision
X got some ok changes. It's not a spell you pick up early that often. Again, another vision change, but it's pretty negligible in this case. The manacost changes are nice. Kunkka is pretty mana starved. There's a chance you might see him as a 2nd support. But in reality, not much is different here.
- Chainfrost bounce count increased from 7 to 10
- Attack range increased from 625 to 635
- Armor increased by 1 (Shapeshift total armor is still the same as before)
- Reverse Polarity damaged decreased from 150/225/300 to 50/125/200
- Stone Gaze Reworked
- Any unit facing Medusa will have its attack, movement and turn rate reduced by 50% until the end of the spell. If you accumulate 2 seconds time (in total) facing Medusa, you will turn to stone.
- Stoned units are disabled, have 100% magic resistance and take extra damage from physical attacks.
- View Angle Spread: 85
- Gaze Duration: 6 seconds.
- Stone Duration: 3 seconds
- Bonus Physical Damage: 30/40/50%
- AOE: 1000
- CD: 90
- Manacost: 200
- Note: Kills illusions instead of petrifying them
- Medusa: Removed from Captain's Mode
- Innate magic resistance increased from 25% to 35%
- Elune's Arrow now deals up to 100 extra damage based on distance the arrow traveled
- Moonlight Shadow cooldown decreased from 160/140/120 to 140/120/100
- Starfall will choose a new target for the second star if the first died before impact
- Reduced arrow size by 10%
- Reduced arrow saturation
What she is good at is ganking. But it's hard to justify picking her up for ONLY that reason.
- Base attack time improved from 1.7 to 1.6
- Rip Tide cooldown rescaled from 19/16/13/10 to 10
- Mana Burn drain and damage decreased from 5x Int to 3.5/4/4.5/5x
- Mana Burn manacost rescaled from 130/120/110/100 to 100
- Hunter in the Night attack speed rescaled from 30/45/60/75 to 45/55/65/75 (MS remains 20/25/30/35)
- Ignite DPS increased from 26/32/38/44 to 26/34/42/50
- Movement speed increased from 310 to 315
- Blur level 4 evasion increased from 35% to 40%
- Flesh Heap strength bonus increased from 0.9/1.2/1.5/1.8 to 1/1.5/2/2.5
- Nether Blast structure damage increased from 33% to 50%
- Decrepify can now target Tombstone
- Permanent Invisibility fade time decreased from 3/2.25/1.5 to 3/2/1
- Invisibility fade delay when exiting Sand Storm improved from 0.3/0.6/0.9/1.5 to 1.5
- Sand Storm now has a smoother damage interval (1->0.5, total damage is the same)
- Base Intelligence decreased by 3
- Shadow Poison no longer gives vision over the targets with the debuff
- Requiem of Souls slow rescaled from 15/20/25% to 20%
- Requiem of Souls damage reduction increased from 15/20/25% to 50%
- Global Silence now affects sleeping units
- Bash damage type from magical to physical
- Sprint cooldown decreased from 40 to 28
- Shrapnel AoE increased from 360 to 400
- Charge of Darkness will now also Greater Bash its target
- Electric Vortex cooldown decreased from 20 to 21/20/19/18
- Ravage AoE rescaled from 825/925/1025 to 1025
- Toss cooldown decreased from 10 to 9
- You can now Toss units to Runes
- Leech Seed slow increased from 24% to 28%
- Leech Seed's healing effect no longer ends when the target dies
- Battle Trance cooldown increased from 20 to 30
- Battle Trance duration decreased from 10 to 7
- Snowball cooldown decreased from 24 to 21
- Soul Rip cast range increased from 650 to 750
- Strength increased from 16 + 2.3 to 18 + 2.6
- Nether Swap cast range rescaled from 600/900/1200 to 650/925/1200
Nether Swap gets a slight buff too, making her just barely outrange most Ranged heroes at level 1 of her ult.
- Poison Sting duration increased from 6/7/8/9 to 6/8/10/12
It makes Venomancer just a bit more desireable because right now, he isn't seen a lot in the pro scene due to his low speed and fragility.
- Corrosive Skin affects any damage source not just regular attacks
- Viper Strike is no longer removed by Dark Pact or Kraken Shell
The buff to his ult is pretty interesting as well. Viper is getting to the point where it's hard to kite him as long as you don't have a built in blink.
- Death Ward cast range rescaled from 300/350/400 to 400
- Maledict cast range increased from 400 to 525
Drums of Endurance
- Recipe cost increased from 750 to 800
Armlet of Mordiggian
- HP regen decreased from 8 to 7
- Positive armor aura is no longer prevented from stacking with other items
- Armor increased from 5 to 6
- Damage Return cooldown decreased from 22 to 17
- Cooldown decreased from 14 to 12
- Initial charges increased from 6 to 8
- Can be activated to instantly kill yourself (requires a ground target)
I don't think this will change when Bloodstone is picked up though. It's too expensive of an item with a huge lack of utility. Even heroes that it's good on will tend to opt for other items like Orchid, which provide many similar benefits and have more utility.
- Courier no longer block neutral creeps from spawning
- Courier Speed Burst from 100% to 50% MS bonus (still reaches max speed)
The speed burst is just to balance out the Bottle-Crow nerf.
- Recipe cost decreased from 1300 to 1250
- Corruption armor reduction increased from 6 to 7
- Self or ally cast duration increased to 4 seconds
Eul's Scepter of Divinity
- Movement speed bonus increased from 30 to 35
- Recipe cost decreased from 1000 to 900
Headdress of Rejuvenation
- Regeneration Aura AoE increased from 500 to 750 (now equal to Mekansm's active)
- Cooldown decreased from 20 to 17
Medallion of Courage
- Cast range increased from 800 to 1000
- Regeneration Aura AoE increased from 500 to 750 (now equal to active)
- Armor bonus AoE active increased from 700 to 750 (now equal to Mekansm's active )
- Warrior and Archer armor type changed from Heavy to Hero (takes less damage from creeps)
- Recipe cost decreased from 145 to 135
- Can now target Observer or Sentry wards dealing 100 damage (wards have 200 hp)
- Cast range increased from 100 to 350
This really gives two main benefits:
- You can help counter-ward stuff on cliffs as a melee hero
- You can cut down trees early while juking, so that Quelling Blade will be off cooldown a bit sooner while you juke.
- Burn damage increased from 45 to 50
Sange & Yasha
- Minor changes to stats (+1 Attack Speed, +1% Maim Chance, +4 Damage)
- Fade time decreased from 2.6 to 2.4
- Damage decreased from 30 to 22
- Aura AoE decreased from 1000 to the standard 900
- Attack Speed reduction increased from -30 to -40
Veil of Discord
- Discord AoE increased from 550 to 600
- Deny XP and Bonus XP/Gold AOE is now the same as regular XP AOE (1000->1200)
- 4 hero XP bonus changed from 15+6Level to 20+5level
- 5 hero XP bonus changed from 10+5Level to 15+4level
As for the 4/5 hero XP bonus, it is a rescale that incentivizes early team fights (start with a higher flat bonus).
- Gold for ending a spree changed from 50->400 (3x->10x) to 75->600
- Level 1 and Level 2 towers armor increased from 18 to 20
- Backdoor protection now also reduces incoming damage by 25%
- Siege units HP increased from 500 to 550
- Repicking a randomed hero now re-adds the hero to the pool
- Swapping a hero that you randomed now costs you 100 gold