- Poison Attack: A cheap cast spell that provides an attack speed and move speed slow, as well as a bit of magic damage over time.
- Nethertoxin: A passive spell that deals physical damage based on missing HP as well as adding some bonus base damage. It is less effective against creeps, dealing only 50% of the damage.
- Corrosive Skin: Another passive spell that slows the move speed and attack speed of anyone attacking him while dealing magic damage over time for 3 seconds. It also adds some magic armor.
- Viper Strike: A pretty big slow for 5.1 seconds that also deals pretty decent magic damage over that time. The cooldown is pretty short too (80/50/30 seconds). The only problem is it costs a lot of mana.
- Slow as hell starting move speed (285)
- Decent attack range (575)
- Kind of squishy early game
Current MetaHe's not used frequently in pro games. At one point, Viper was sometimes picked up as a solo mid. Now, he's only seen much in match making.
Items are pretty standard carry stuff:
- Power Treads (survivability/adaptability)
- Vanguard (more survivability)
- Manta Style (move speed, DPS, survivability)
- BKB (survivability)
You'll typically see a Viper maxing out Poison Attack, Nethertoxin and Viper Strike first before taking Corrosive Skin.
Build 1: Radiance CarrierThe idea here is to get some early farm, make a Radiance, and push lanes using the Radiance aura and Corrosive Skin. This is how I see it working:
- Take Viper mid
- Go with a skill build prioritizing Poison Attack/Nethertoxin
- Get Phase Boots (or Tranquil Boots) quickly. Both give you the movespeed you need to roam and gank.
- Get lots of kills and save for a Relic
- Make Radiance and push lanes with it
- Tank up a bit (BKB, Manta Style, Linkens, Pipe, Heart, etc.)
- If you get the chance, upgrade your boots to Boots of Travel so you can move between lanes
- Drum of Endurance: HP, Movespeed, Attack Speed, and Mana - pretty much all things you want
- Shadow Blade: Survivability and Ganking - in MM, most people will not counter you by getting wards and such. If they start buying detection, then they are spending money they wouldn't have needed to spend otherwise.
- Poor Man's Shield: Survivability and AGI - depending on your stating items, it might be an OK upgrade
- Aghanim's Scepter: If you're ganking a lot and could use the upgrade, it could be worth the money. Definitely adds some survivability.
Build 2: JungleThe idea behind this one is to max Corrosive Skin first, get a Poor Man's Shield, and give someone a solo lane in the process. You can easily poke out of the jungle for a quick gank. This is how I imagine it:
- Corrosive Skin
- Nethertoxin (to kill creeps faster)
- Corrosive Skin/Poison Attack (depending on whether you want to set up a lvl 3 gank)
- Poison Attack/Corrosive Skin (depending on whether you ganked or not)
- Corrosive Skin/Poison Attack/Nethertoxin (depending on what you need)
- Poor Man's Shield: gives you AGI and blocking
- Tranquil Boots/Power Treads: Both are good, just a preferential thing
My main concern with this build is that Viper would either not be tanky enough to jungle so early or not be able to farm fast enough.